Okay, so I’m probably supposed to discourage potty humor. That’s one of those rules of parenting, right? Teach decorum. Teach manners. Model appropriate language, behavior blah blah blah.
Here’s the thing. The cartoon above that my son made is hilarious! I can’t not laugh at it. And you know what? I don’t want to not laugh at it.
Along these lines, here are a few other parenting rules I think are important:
- Laugh together as much as possible.
- Help kids distinguish between the truly profane and that which is just edgy.
- Help kids to distinguish between bad usage and bad timing.
- Teach kids how to be serious but also how to appreciate the silly.
- Teach kids to know their audience.
Those are just a few “rules” that come to mind. Feel free to add your own in the comments below. I’d love to hear them. In the meantime, I’ll be sure to keep you up to date on future cartoons.
I love that kid!